Discord has become a popular way for gamers, hobbyists, and pros to talk to each other online. It builds groups and connects people all over the world.
Even though Discord has many features that make it easier to use, some users find it annoying that automatic calls sometimes happen when they are not expecting them. Many Discord users are confused by this strange event, which has led to questions about why Discord calls itself without any obvious start.
This article will look into the possible reasons for this strange event, explain the technical side of things, and talk about how to fix the problem and stop Discord calls from automatically dialing in the first place.
Why Does Discord Call Automatically by Itself?
It is due to incoming direct messages or mentions that you attended unintentionally. Discord keeps track of your microphone input when using a voice channel with other users. It could believe you wish to start a call or join one already in progress if it notices what it perceives as voice activity.
Discord has a voice action detection system that can sometimes be too accurate. It could be thought that background noise or sounds in the air are signals to start a speech call. It can cause calls to come through when you least expect them, especially if your microphone is set too high or there is a lot of background noise.
Users can set their hotkeys for different tasks in Discord, such as starting a call. If you accidentally set a button to call without meaning to, hitting that combination of keys can make a call without you meaning to.
- Incoming Direct Messages or Mentions
Discord may initiate a call automatically to bring your immediate attention to a direct message or remark you receive in a server or group chat.
- Server or Group Voice Channels
Occasionally, users could unintentionally join these voice channels or be drawn into current discussions, in which case Discord will start a call whenever it detects voice activity.
- External Triggers
External events like software integrations or bots may trigger discord calls.
- Connection or Network Issues
On rare occasions, accidental calls may result from network or connectivity problems.
- Mobile App Behavior
If enabled in the user’s settings, the Discord mobile app may operate in the background and do actions such as automatically joining voice channels.
- User Error
Sometimes, users misclick or misinterpret Discord’s user interface, inadvertently causing them to start calls. Calls may result from these unintentional acts without the intended outcome.
How To Fix Discord That Discord Calls Automatically by Itself
To fix this, go to your Discord settings and look for an option called “microphone sensitivity” or “input sensitivity.” Lowering the sensitivity will take a louder or more determined sound to trigger your microphone. It makes it less likely that your voice will be picked up by mistake.
In Discord, you can set up hotkeys to do different things. If Discord calls start without you meaning to, a button may be doing it by accident. In the settings, you can turn off these hotkeys. If you see any fishy behavior linked to a certain bot or script, you might want to disable or eliminate it to see if that fixes the problem.
If you’re using Discord on your phone, watch for touches or movements that could cause calls. The app on your phone may respond to swipes or taps. Lock your device’s screen when you’re not using Discord to avoid making calls by accident.
Adjust Microphone Sensitivity
Discord’s voice action sensitivity may be set too high, which could cause accidental alerts. Turn down the microphone’s intensity until it doesn’t pick up any background noise or sounds that weren’t meant to be heard. To do this, do these
- Start up Discord. Click on the gear-shaped button that says “User Settings.”
- Pick out “Voice & Video.” The button under “Input Sensitivity” should be moved to the left to make it less sensitive.
Check Hotkey Configuration
When you press certain key combinations in Discord, hotkey settings can make calls happen by accident. Reviewing and changing these settings is important so you don’t accidentally start a call. For Discord users, the “Keybinds” or “Hotkeys” area is where you can find and change hotkeys.
- Go over and change the settings for your hotkeys, to change the hotkeys. Go to your user settings in Discord. Pick either “Keybinds” or “Hotkeys.”
- Check to see if any key combinations are set to make calls. If you need to, clear or change them to stop calls from happening by chance.
Monitor Mobile Usage
When using Discord on mobile devices, especially ones with touchscreens like smartphones, you need to be careful not to make accidental Discord calls while talking. Because these devices have very sensitive touchscreens, it is easy to make calls by accident.
Maintaining awareness of your touchscreen activities is important to ensure you don’t accidentally tap the screen, especially in the voice channel area, as these taps can cause Discord talks to start automatically. Knowing what you’re doing on the touchscreen and being careful with your phone while talking on Discord will help you avoid this problem.
Mute Your Microphone When Not in Use
Discord’s voice activity recognition system can sometimes mistake background noise for voice activity, which can cause calls to go through when they shouldn’t. To avoid this, you should mute your microphone by hand when you’re not actively participating in voice chats or talks. This way, you can ensure Discord doesn’t pick up background noise and make calls without reason.
- Click on the microphone button in the bottom left area of the Discord screen to do this.
Verify Bot and Script Interference
Discord bots or scripts may make calls without meaning to. Check that any third-party Discord bots or tools you use are still up to date. Look at how they are set up to see if any bugs or problems that could be causing the calls to happen automatically.
- Check for changes often, and make sure that any third-party Discord bots or tools you use have the most recent versions.
- Check out the settings for the third-party Discord bots like Telephone and Scripts. Check to see if any setup errors or issues could cause automatic calls.
- Report a bug in a bot or script that makes Discord calls start automatically to the person who made the bot or script. In a future update, they might put out a fix. Reporting bugs clearly and accurately can help a lot with fixing the problem.
Change Server Permissions and Roles
The settings for a Discord server can change who can start a call, which can cause calls to behave in strange ways. If you are in charge of a Discord group, check the permissions and roles and make any necessary changes to limit who can start calls. Make sure these settings are set up properly to stop spam calls.
- Sign in to your Discord account and go to the server where you want to change roles and access.
- The server name is at the top left of the Discord window. Click on it once you’re inside the server. You will then be taken to the server’s “Overview page.”
- On the Overview page, find the “Server Settings” link and click on it. It will bring up a new page with different server control choices.
- Click on the “Roles” tab on the screen on the left. It is a list of all the roles on your server, including the basic roles like “Everyone.” You can change roles that are already there or make new ones based on your needs.
- To make a new role, click the “+” sign and give it a name and rights. To change a current role, all you have to do is click on it.
- Pay attention to the “Voice Permissions” part to decide who can make calls. Some people may not be able to join chat groups, talk, or stream in them.
- Once you’ve set up the role’s rights, you must give members that role. You can do this by choosing a person from the “Members” tab on the left-hand menu and giving them the right role from the list of roles.
- You can also change access for individual channels by going to the server settings and clicking the “Channels” tab. Pick a voice channel, then click “Edit Channel” to change who can use that channel.
Keep Discord Updated
Using old versions of Discord can sometimes cause problems you didn’t expect. Ensure you always have the most recent version of Discord installed to get the latest bug changes and improvements. A lot of the time, Discord puts out updates that fix known problems. To update Discord,
- Click open the “Hidden icon” file from the taskbar. Now right-click on the Discord icon and select “Check for updates.” It will check and install all the necessary updates.
Disable and Re-enable Voice Activity
Voice action tracking in Discord might not work right. You can fix this by resetting it. You can try turning off and on voice action again in the voice settings:
- Open Discord and then click on the gear icon of “Settings.” Go to “Voice & Video” in your user settings on Discord.
- In “Input Mode,” change “Voice Activity” to “Push to Talk” and then back to “Voice Activity.”
Discord’s massive user base and worldwide reach have facilitated communication between gamers, enthusiasts, and professionals. Nevertheless, the problem of calls in Discord starting up on their own without the user’s intervention has stumped many people.
The problem with auto-calling in Discord may be traced to several causes, such as incoming direct messages, mentions, or unintended participation in voice channels. Even though it is an accurate system, the vocal activity detection algorithm of the platform might occasionally get confused and think that background noises are signals to start a call.
There are a few things users can do to stop these annoying automatic calls: changing the microphone’s sensitivity, checking and changing hotkey configurations, being careful when using their phones, muting the microphone when not in use, checking for bot and script interference, changing server permissions and roles, and keeping Discord up to date.
It’s also possible for users to mistakenly set hotkeys for call initiation, which can result in unintended calls being made.
Hey, I’m Hammad. I have been writing for several years now and have amassed a wealth of experience within my field. My focus is on technology and gaming, two areas that I am highly knowledgeable about.